Writing Tips and Traps for Professional Engineers
This online engineering PDH course will be a useful guide targeted at those few significant rules of grammar and key misspelled or misused words. It is written for the professional engineer seeking to be as careful and accurate in writing reports, memos, and professional papers for publication as you are in your technical work. The quality of your writing speaks volumes about your self-image and career aspirations. Maybe you are familiar with the phrase “don’t dress for the job you have but for the job you want!” The same rationale works for your writing.
This course will identify many common traps in grammar, sentence construction, and word usage that surround us daily in a workplace of people who feel it is sufficient to be simply understood rather than grammatically correct. After all, they reason, how many people write well enough (or is it “good enough”) in today’s workplace to notice the difference? They have a very legitimate, but sad, argument. We even get into digital communications because more and more workplace dialogue occurs there.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for professional engineers who want to be defined as much by the quality of their writing as by the quality of their work. It is also for someone who must review the written work of others – not technical specs but written documents in support of those specifications – before it passes on to an executive or client. “Review” meaning a high-quality work related document going out; not as if editing for a novel. Finally, it is also for anyone in search of genuine self-development regardless of whether it may lead to a promotion or career advancement. Remember, you will never know who will see your writing and if it reflects a high quality of thought and execution, doors of opportunity may open that you never knew existed.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Avoid stepping into the most common grammatical traps found in so much of today’s verbal and written communications
- Confidently construct sentences with parallelism for greater effectiveness and color in their writing.
- Write confidently knowing why certain words and phrase are used beyond “they just sound good,”
- Use colons and semicolons correctly.
- Review a written document and quickly find grammatical errors and recommend solutions.
- Use a successful model to create a financial proposal presentation with high chance of approval
- Avoid the use of common troublesome words and phrases in business writing
- Take a self-test to determine their current writing skills level
- Write more professionally and effectively in today’s digital communications world
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled “Writing Tips and Traps for Professional Engineers”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty five (25) questions to earn 4 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.