Types of Foundations
This online engineering PDH course provides thorough knowledge on the types of foundations and provides a detailed description on each type of foundation, describes the advantages and disadvantages of each type, with detailed photography.
Foundation is one of the essential parts of the structure. It is defined as the part of the structure that transfers the load from the structure constructed on it, as well as its weight over a large area of soil in such a way that the amount does not exceed the ultimate bearing capacity of the soil and the settlement of the whole structure remains within a tolerable limit. Foundation is the part of a structure on which the building stands and provides stability to the structure. The solid ground on which it rests is known as foundation bed.
This 2 PDH online course is applicable to civil/geotechnical engineers interested in learning about the principles to be considered when selecting and designing a foundation. The contents of this document are intended to serve as guidance and not as an absolute standard or rule.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the first civilizations who used concrete foundations and the evolution of the modern foundation
- Familiarizing with foundation repair tools and methods
- Gaining a general overview on basement walls that are the most recognizable type of retaining wall to prevent sloped soil from naturally falling off
- Learning about the different types of shallow foundations that are the most popular type of foundation for lightweight structures
- Learning about the different types of deep foundations including pile foundations, pier foundations, caisson foundations
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.