The Development of U.S. Missiles During the Cold War
This online engineering PDH course provides a short history of introductory information on ballistic missiles developed by the United States military. It features easily understood insight into the operation of rocket engines and the early stages of development of the Atlas Intercontinental Ballistic Missile System (ICBM), the first that was developed by the U.S. It also describes other U.S. missile programs and their deployment across the United States and Europe to combat the Russian threat.
During the "Cold War", the United States and Russia engaged in intense scientific research in the development of nuclear weapons and the means of delivering them over the vast distances that lie between the two countries. It was for this reason that in October 1945 the U.S. Army Air Force requested industry proposals for missile systems to deliver warheads as far as 6000 nautical miles.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for nuclear engineers, mechanical engineers, design engineers, and any other professional interested in gaining a better understanding in the development of U.S. Missiles.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the basic principles of the design, operation and function of rocket engines; both liquid and solid propellant types
- Understanding the types of rocket engine fuels available and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Learning how missiles are classified especially according to their range of operation
- Familiarizing with a typical missile launch site and the various major systems associated with it
- Understanding the effect of the earth's rotation on launching missiles and why it favors launching missiles from one coast over the other
- Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the unique design of the U.S. Atlas ICBM missile
- Understanding the operation of the stages of the Atlas missile and how they differ from other missiles
- Understanding the basic design and operation of the U.S. Titan ICBM missile and how and why it differs from the Atlas ICBM
- Familiarizing with U.S. Thor and Jupiter MRBM missiles and the strategy of deploying them with respect to the U.S. ICBM missiles
- Understanding the difference in deployment of the U.S. SRBM Redstone missile with respect to U.S. MRBM and ICBM type missiles
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "The Development of U.S. Missiles During the Cold War".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.