Storage Battery Maintenance and Principles
This online engineering PDH course provides basic engineering guidance in operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of Lead-acid and Ni-Cad batteries down to individual battery cell level.
Batteries are the backup power source for millions of consumer, business, medical, military, and industrial equipments worldwide. The critical applications such as computers, servers, instruments, telecommunications or life saving equipments require 100% redundancy in every aspect to ensure high degree of reliability and operation. Although the power supply is available from commercial power supply sources, any malfunction and interruption of the utility power can be detrimental to the critical operations of the facility. Consistent and reliable performance of batteries is thus critical to smooth functioning of modern equipments.
This 8 PDH online course is applicable to electrical and mechanical engineers, design and construction personnel, technical staff, energy auditors and facility personnel who are interested in gaining a better understanding of storage battery maintenance and principles.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Principles and characteristics of Lead-acid, VRLA and Ni-Cad batteries
- Importance of float charge, initial charge and equalizing charge
- Affect of undercharging and over discharge of batteries
- Importance of voltage and specific gravity readings at appropriate temperature correction
- Sedimentation, water replacement rate and constant voltage charging
- Battery life for different types and services
- Internal shorts, connection resistance
- Causes and elimination of over sulfation
- Acceptance testing and inspection guidelines
- Capacity tests to determine replacement
- Summary of battery troubles and recommended actions
- Type of electrolyte, levels and general care
- Batteries for microwave and VHF radio equipment
- Battery safety, explosive and safety hazard ventilation
- Battery charging equipment, motor generator sets and static rectifier chargers
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the publication of the United States Department of the Interior, Facilities Instructions, Standards, and Techniques Volume 3-6, titled "Storage Battery Maintenance and Principles" published by the United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.