Small Wind Electric Systems to Power Your Home
This online engineering PDH course provides basic information about small wind electric systems to help you decide if wind energy will work for you.
Wind is created by the unequal heating of the Earth's surface by the sun. Wind turbines convert the kinetic energy in wind into mechanical power that runs a generator to produce clean electricity.
Can I use wind energy to power my home? More people across the country are asking this question as they look for a hedge against increasing electricity rates and a way to harvest their local wind resources. Although wind turbines large enough to provide a significant portion of the electricity needed by the average U.S. home generally require 1 acre of property or more, approximately 19.3% of the U.S. population lives in rural areas and may own land parcels large enough to accommodate a wind energy system.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to electrical and mechanical engineers and energy professionals who are interested in learning more about small wind electric systems.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with wind energy, terminology, and basic principles of wind turbines
- Understanding the different ways to make a home more energy efficient
- Understanding how and when small wind energy systems provide a practical and economical source of electricity
- Learning about the size of wind turbines required for specific applications
- Learning about the basic parts of a small wind electric system
- Knowing where to find certified small wind turbines, as well as installation and maintenance support
- Calculating how much energy a wind electric system will generate
- Gaining a general overview of hybrid wind energy systems
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.