Principles and Methods of Temperature Measurement
This online engineerng PDH course describes the four basic types of temperature measuring devices, each working on a different principle:
- Mechanical (liquid-in-glass thermometers, bimetallic strips, bulb and capillary, pressure type, etc.)
- Thermo-resistive (RTD's and thermistors)
- (infrared and optical pyrometers)
Temperature is a principle parameter that needs to be monitored and controlled in most engineering applications such as heating, cooling, drying and storage. Temperature can be measured via a diverse array of sensors. All of them infer temperature by sensing some change in a physical characteristic be it a thermal expansion, thermoelectricity, electrical resistance or thermal radiation.
This 2 PDH online course is applicable to electrical, instrumentation and control engineers, energy auditors, O&M professionals, contractors, estimators, facility managers and general audience interested in learning more about the principles and methods of temperature measurement.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning the various types of temperature sensors
- Understanding the principle of operation of thermocouples (Peltier effect, Thompson effect and Seebeck effect)
- Learning about the basic construction of a thermocouple including materials used
- Knowing the three laws of thermocouples (law of intermediate metals, law of intermediate temperatures and law of additive voltages)
- Understanding the difference between grounded, ungrounded and exposed junctions
- Knowing the basic principle and construction of RTDs and Thermistors
- Understanding the difference between the two main types of thermistors i.e. positive; temperature coefficient (PTC) and negative temperature coefficient (NTC)
- Explaining how RTD resistance varies for increase and decrease of temperatures using bridge circuits
- Knowing the basic principles of radiative temperature measurement including infrared and optical pyrometers
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "Principles and Methods of Temperature Measurement".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.