Preparing to Lead
This online engineering PDH course will be an essential tool for those employers who understand the value of developing and retaining their internal talent while not creating more problems than they solve. The concepts presented here will get the learner off to a safe start while gaining experience regardless if the organization is public, private, or volunteer. We say "safe" as in avoiding errors that can create problems now or in the future.
Human Resource professionals know that the quality of the relationship between employees and their immediate supervisor is the primary factor that determines the employee's performance, productivity, and morale. The best way to recruit and retain employees is for an employer to develop the organization's leadership skills from top to bottom.
This 10 PDH online course is intended for employees who want to be prepared for a leadership opportunity when it becomes available. Completing this course is like having an experienced mentor to help you understand the workplace from a position of "been there, done that" to guide your development in a logical sequence of looking inward at yourself, then outward at the people around you, and finally, at the subtleties of the work itself.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- List three essential elements of self-development
- Develop a plan for building alliances with others
- Examine their behavior to determine if there are "qualifiers" associated with them that may restrict career development
- View their performance through the eyes of their supervisor looking for improvement opportunities
- Analyze their daily performance to determine if they are actually productive or just "busy"
- List some unwritten job expectations their supervisor may have of them
- List some unwritten expectations their coworkers may have of them
- Explain if they connect authentically with others
- Analyze themselves to determine the extent of their orientation toward reality
- Analyze their daily behavior to discover their potential for self-inflicting wounds
- Prioritize those elements of their behavior to ensure the most successful interaction
- Identify their personal working style to maximize their effectiveness in the workplace
- Identify clues to other working styles so they can act flexibly for an effective interaction
- Analyze and modify as necessary their typical emotional reaction to unsettling events
- Explain the value of managing their reaction to an event when they cannot control the event itself
- Explain the value in maintaining a sense of proportion when encountering disappointment so as not to harm their career plans
- List the key elements necessary for their personal development plan
- Break out of behavioral patterns that may be limiting their potential for career growth
- Identify and obtain a mentor if their employer does not have a formal mentoring program
- Identify the key elements of motivating others
- Identify the clues associated with increasing levels of conflict
- Get their way gracefully and pleasantly with others
- Analyze work patterns to determine what hidden obstacles may be limiting performance
- Identify the positions and interests of each side in a negotiation
- Explain why a "win-win" outcome is not the best way to look at a desired negotiation outcome
- Apply the Cheshire cat's lesson to productivity
- Express desired goals with the critical trio of performance
- Explain the value of and design "feedback loops" for workflows
- Explain the differences between various simple statistical collection methods and apply them appropriately
- Design an effective proposal for senior management when seeking support for major initiatives
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, "Preparing to Lead".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.