Lithium-ion Batteries for EVs
This online engineering PDH course provides an overview of electric vehicle technologies, Li-ion batteries, their limitations, safety concerns, and the emerging battery technologies that are designed to meet future requirements.
The automotive industry is rapidly moving away from traditional internal combustion (IC) engines towards electric vehicles (EVs). The global fleet of light-duty EVs grew from a few thousand, just a decade ago, to around 10 million vehicles in 2020.
The growing acceptance of EVs is the outcome of the technological advancements made in energy storage batteries, coupled with their falling cost and fast charging capabilities. Further, with the global environmental problems and growing interests in de-carbonization, the attention is being directed toward solutions to the problems of energy use. The EVs that use rechargeable batteries for traction have been commercialized and their use is rapidly becoming more widespread due to both their environmental performance and economics. The Lithium-ion battery technology is currently the dominant, core enabling technology for EVs and electronic gadgets.
This 6 PDH online course is applicable to electrical and mechanical engineers and professionals who are interested in learning more about electrochemical energy storage and modern battery systems in electric vehicles.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the basics of electric vehicles and batteries
- Learning about the different types of electric vehicles
- Learning about the construction and assembly of battery cells, modules, and packs
- Understanding the working principles of batteries and the key performance indicators
- Identifying the characteristics of Lithium-ion batteries that are best suited for electric vehicles
- Learning about the sourcing, costing, transportation, and disposal of Lithium-ion batteries
- Understanding the important safety concerns and the battery management system
- Gaining a general overview of the next generation technologies and innovations
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.