Leading the Multi-Generational Workforce
This online engineering PDH course will help you identify the reasons why the generations and individual working styles are different, give you insight into seeing the workplace from a new perspective, and provide guidelines on what a leader can do to help members of each become as productive as possible within the multigenerational mix of today's workforce.
The workforce is becoming more diverse in terms of generational makeup. Since each generation, the Builders (born 1925-1945), Boomers (1946-1960), Generation X (1961-1980 the first wave of Boomer children), and Generation Y (1981-present the second wave of Boomer children), were formed during different social climates, their values and beliefs do not automatically mirror those of their parents.
In addition, we encounter people in the workplace with whom we work very easily regardless of generation while there are others with whom we have difficulty working. This is because of our 'working styles' and that has nothing to do with age.
Once you discover how to view the workplace through the eyes of their employees, you will learn how to meet the needs of those employees regarding motivation, measurable performance expectations, productivity, mentoring relationships. and communications techniques.
This 8 PDH onlinecourse is intended for anyone who leads a workforce on a temporary or permanent basis. It is also useful for professionals working with management to improve internal communications. This course will also help leaders better understand how their employees view the world so they can become more effective in defining work expectations and selecting appropriate motivational techniques to sustain high levels of productivity.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Distinguish traits of each generation
- Identify their values and general work characteristics
- Capitalize on their work assets and help them overcome their liabilities
- Know their leadership style considering generational and working style characteristics
- Understand the differences between knowledge, experience, and competency
- Understand how each generation is perceived by their coworkers
- Understand how to view the employer's benefits and programs from their perspective as an aid in recruiting and retention
- Know the five differences between generations about issues involving career, speed, loyalty, balance and heroes
- Understand how to view their daily work from a leader's perspective
- Analyze their daily interactions for potential opportunities for change
- Recognize the choices of reaction you have when working under stress
- Recognize the messages you send to coworkers before saying a single word
- Deal effectively with unhappy employees of every generation and working style and still retain good will
- Identify your individual working style and those of others
- Deal effectively with working styles other than your own
- Identify your "back up" working style and use it effectively
- Learn tips for saying "No" and retaining good will
- Discover what motivates your employees individually
- Apply motivational discoveries to get increased morale and productivity
- Improve your interaction with employees who are your minimal performers
- Identify reasons why those employees are minimal performers and develop strategies to remedy them
- Channel employee motivation into improved departmental morale and performance
- Develop measurements for objective and subjective behaviors for effective performance management
- Work with employees to identify measurable work performance goals for them
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, "Leading the Multi-Generational Workforce".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.