Introduction to Stream Hydraulics
This engineering online PDH course covers the basic concepts, calculation procedures, and example calculations for stream hydraulics.
Stream hydraulics calculations make use of channel cross-section parameters, the Froude number, the Reynolds number, and the continuity, energy and momentum equations. The calculations include hydraulic calculations for uniform flow, calculation of normal depth, roughness coefficient determination, water surface profile calculations, weir flow, hydraulic jumps, and channel routing.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for civil, environmental, hydrological and stormwater management engineers, and other technical personnel who are interested in learning more about stream hydraulics.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarization with the channel cross-section parameters: flow depth, hydraulic depth, and hydraulic radius
- Familiarization with the dimensionless numbers, Reynolds number and Froude number and the ability to calculate their values if given adequate flow information
- Familiarization with the continuity equation, Bernoulli equation and conservation of momentum equation and their use in stream hydraulics calculations
- Learning how to make hydraulic calculations for uniform flow in a stream
- Learning how to calculate normal depth for uniform flow in a stream
- Learning how to determine a value for Manning’s n if given suitable channel information
- Learning how to make water surface profile calculations as illustrated in the course document
- Familiarization with the use of weirs for flow measurement
- Learning how to make hydraulic jump calculations
- Familiarization with channel routing procedures
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.