Introduction to Fuel Cells
This online engineering PDH course introduces fuel cell technology and explores the merits and downsides of various fuel cell types, as well as their appropriateness for various applications. The course also aims to present the technical and economic challenges of introducing this technology.
A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that uses hydrogen or hydrogen-rich fuel and an oxidant to make energy. Fuel cells are increasingly seen as a reliable green energy alternative to polluting processes based on combustion from diesel and gasoline engines to coal-burning power plants. Rather than burning fuel to create electricity, fuel cells rely on an electrochemical reaction—which does not produce greenhouse gases. They offer significant energy efficiency and decarbonization benefits to a range of industries—including stationary power generation, automotive and heavy transport.
Fuel cells can run on a wide range of fuels, ranging from gaseous fuels such as hydrogen and natural gas to liquid fuels such as methanol and gasoline. If pure hydrogen is used as a fuel, fuel cells emit only heat and water as a byproduct. This course will cover various types of fuel cells including Alkaline fuel cell (AFC), Direct Methanol fuel cell (DMFC), Phosphoric Acid fuel cell (PAFC), Molten Carbonate fuel cell (MCFC), Solid Oxide fuel cell (SOFC), and Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) fuel cell.
This 7 PDH online course is applicable to chemical, mechanical, and electrical engineers who are interested in improving their knowledge on fuel cell technology.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with working fundamentals and performance of the fuel cell technology
- Familiarizing with the operating principles and chemical reactions of different types of fuel cells
- Gaining a general overview on comparative advantages and disadvantages of different types of fuel cells and on cost economics of fuel cells
- Learning about the applications of fuel cells in transportation and stationary power generation
- Understanding the detailed construction of PEM fuel cells and fuel cell stacks
- Exploring the effect of various parameters on PEM fuel cell performance
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.