Introduction to Batteries
This online engineering PDH course will discuss the characteristics and application of different types of batteries in detail.
Electricity cannot always be generated where and when it is needed so batteries are used in instances where direct current is needed and/or there is no access to power outlet, or a cord become cumbersome. A battery is a device where chemical energy is converted to electrical energy. Many different types of batteries are available for a wide variety of applications, from storing solar power for satellites in space to powering heart pacemakers fitted inside people's chests.
All batteries contain one or more cells, but the terms battery and cell are often used interchangeably. A cell is the working chemical unit inside a battery. Cells can be divided into primary cells and secondary cells. Primary cells include dry cells, better known as flashlight batteries and the secondary cells, better known as rechargeable batteries include the lead-acid batteries used in automobiles and the nickel-cadmium batteries used in cellular phones.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to electrical engineers, design and construction personnel, technical staff and facility personnel who are interested in gaining a better understanding of batteries.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- State the purpose of a cell
- Identify the parts and state the purpose of a cell
- Explain the chemical process that takes place in the primary and secondary cells
- Recognize and define the terms electrochemical action, anode, cathode, and electrolyte
- State the causes of polarization and local action and describe methods of preventing these effects
- Identify the various cells in use today and some of their capabilities and limitations
- Define a battery, and identify the three ways of combining cells to form a battery
- Describe general maintenance procedures for batteries including the use of the hydrometer, battery capacity, and rating and battery charging
- Observe the safety precautions for working with and around batteries
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter 2 of Module 1 titled "Introduction to Batteries" of the Naval Education and Training Materials (NAVEDTRA 14173), Electricity and Electronic Training Series.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.