Identification and Screening of Infectious Carcass Pre-treatment Alternatives
This online engineering PDH course provides general information on identifying and evaluating pretreatment methods for emergency disposal of infectious animal carcasses.
Animal agriculture in the United States of America is an enormous industry. Communicable diseases of poultry and livestock, biological attacks, and natural disasters pose serious risks to animal industry. In the event of a large-scale infection or catastrophe, a large number of animal deaths may occur, either directly as a result of the incident or as a result of steps taken to control the spread of disease.
The disposal of animal carcasses that die from a zoonotic disease are infectious waste. Throughout the U.S., it is regulated by state laws that vary according to animal species. Applicable requirements of federal, state, local, and tribal laws and regulations should be followed. This course focuses on pretreatment methods and technologies to process large numbers of carcasses so they can be managed safely and efficiently. These methods and technologies may act to eliminate infectious agents in or on the carcasses so they are safer to handle, and/or may act to stabilize the carcass biomass to make it easier to transport to the final disposal site or allow it to be disposed on the farm.
This 8 PDH online course is applicable to environmental engineers who are interested in using the best carcass pretreatment method that will prevent the dissemination of infection to other animals and/or humans.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about infectious carcass pretreatment options including on-site size reduction, digestion, bioreduction, alkaline hydrolysis, steam sterilization, freezing, physical inactivation, chemical inactivation, additives/sorbents, encapsulation, and packaging
- Familiarizing with the advantages and disadvantages of each carcass pretreatment option
- Learning about the scale of operations of each carcass pretreatment option
- Understanding the environmental issues associated with each carcass pretreatment option
- Learning about the sample vendors and typical cost ranges for each carcass pretreatment option
- Understanding how each of the carcass pretreatment options tracks to each of the six disposal options (rendering, burial, landfill, composting, incineration, burning)
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.