HVAC Space Heating Systems
In this online engineering PDH course we will discuss various active heating options and design considerations for the best fit strategy. We will categorize heating systems in several ways. First we will consider where the primary energy comes from. Then we will ompare the various options and discuss the variety of ways used to deliver heat within the space. Finally, we will discuss some general guidelines on the energy conservation and application strategies for various buildings.
There are almost endless variations and combinations of space heating systems, each having its strengths and limitations. There are two different but related values of interest to the heating system designer: First, to provide comfort and second, to properly select and size the appropriate heating equipment. This requires estimating the annual energy requirements and then analyzing the operating dollar expenses on prevailing fuel costs. Note that the fuel price alone is not the sole measure for selecting a heating system. The broad comparisons on the choice of a heating system is based on various system characteristics such as equipment costs, equipment efficiency, fuel source availability, required system capacity, fuel energy content in millions Btu per unit, environmental impact and heat response or recovery.
This 6 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical and HVAC engineers, architects, building designers, health and safety engineers, energy auditors, occupational physicians, industrial hygienists, facility managers and general audience working with space heat systems.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding how heat loss occurs and what factors affect rate of heat loss
- Ability to estimate the heating load, annual energy usage rate and equipment sizing
- Familiarizing with the primary energy sources and making the comparative analysis
- Understanding the pros & cons of various heating options and ranking the various systems
- Knowing the convective and radiative heat transfer principles
- Knowing the difference between combustion, thermal and distribution efficiency
- Ability to compare among the gas fired and fuel oil fired furnaces
- Understanding the design concepts behind the hot water heating systems
- Knowing the various type of electric resistance and heat pump systems
- Ability to apply energy conservation techniques
- Understanding the various statutory code requirements
- Comparing various heating options and selecting the appropriate system
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "HVAC Space Heating Systems".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.