Home Energy Savings: A Practical Approach
This online engineering PDH course provides information on a wide variety of energy-related topics, ranging from simple weatherization, insulation, heating and cooling system improvements in homes, to installing and maintaining efficient water heaters, home appliances and solar panels.
Every year, a typical family in the United States spends around half of its home energy budget on heating and cooling. Unfortunately, many of those dollars are often wasted, because conditioned air escapes through leaky ceilings, walls and foundations, or flows through inadequately insulated attics, pipes, exterior walls and basements. In addition, many appliances, heating systems and air conditioners aren’t properly maintained, are old and inefficient, compared to models being sold today.
By properly maintaining your existing heating and cooling equipment (or replacing aging units with high-efficiency models), addressing weatherization and insulation issues at your house and getting into the habit of using energy efficiently all the time, you can save 10 to 30 percent (or more) on your utility bills every year. You will also help reduce pollution at utility plants that use fossil fuels to generate electricity.
This 9 PDH online course is applicable to electrical and mechanical engineers as well as energy specialists who are interested in learning more about home energy-saving considerations and the collection of systems that work together to achieve peak energy savings and to increase a home’s overall comfort.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the major sources of air leaks and energy use in a typical home
- Learning about different sealing and insulating materials, their main characteristics and applications
- Understanding the energy saving considerations for heating and cooling systems
- Learning about a set of energy-related units, ratios and terminologies
- Learning about water heating systems and the different approaches to lowering water-heating costs
- Familiarizing with energy-efficient tips and practices for major home appliances
- Familiarizing with the building blocks of solar PV systems
- Gaining a general overview of contracts, installation, maintenance and monitoring of solar energy systems
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.