History of the US Army Corps of Engineers
This online engineering PDH course provides information on the history of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and provides an overview of the many missions that engineers have performed in support of the Army and the nation since the early days of the American Revolution.
Engineers have served in combat in all our nation's wars. Throughout the 19th century the Corps built coastal fortifications, surveyed roads and canals, eliminated navigational hazards, explored and mapped the western frontier, and constructed buildings and monuments in the nation's capital. In the 20th century, the Corps became the lead federal flood control agency. Assigned the military construction mission in 1941, the Corps constructed facilities at home and abroad to support the Army and the Air Force. During the Cold War, Army engineers managed construction programs for America's allies, including a massive effort in Saudi Arabia.
Today, building on its rich heritage, the Corps is changing to meet the challenges of tomorrow. Our vision calls for us to be a vital part of the Army; the engineer team of choice, responding to our nation's needs in peace and war; and a values-based organization, respected, responsive, and reliable.
This 7 PDH online course is applicable to civil, mechanical, and control systems engineers, design and construction personnel, technical staff and facility operators who are interested in gaining a better understanding of the US Army Corps of Engineers and their role in American history.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding how the Corps of Engineers evolved in the Revolutionary War and how it became a permanent part of the US army
- Learning about the role of Corps of Engineers in the founding of the US Military Academy at West Point
- Exploring the missions of the Corps including Civil Works, flood control, and waterway development
- Familiarizing with the role of Corps of Engineers in the exploration and surveying of early America
- Familiarizing with the coastal defense and combat operations missions of the Corps
- Learning about Combat engineers in wartime
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.