5G Technology Fundamentals
This online engineering PDH course will explore the fundamentals of several technological advancements and improvements that enable the deployment of 5G.
5G has arrived! In this exciting launch into the next decade of cellular technology, 5G is revolutionizing the modern way of life. Whether you are a wireless industry expert or data consumer, 5G technology devices are everywhere and you may even own one as we speak. Today’s advancements in 5G leverages many improvements on bandwidth efficiency, power efficiency (battery life), network capacity, latency rates, reduction of multipath effects, and other technological advances that ultimately enable mobile users as well as the Internet of Things (IoT) to be ubiquitously connected to the internet. As the world becomes increasingly data hungry Cisco Systems estimates global data usage to be in the billions of gigabytes every month! Have you ever considered what makes this possible? Or have you pondered to yourself where all of the wireless bandwidth could possibly come from? Join us in exploring the technologies that make the deployment of 5G possible.
This 2 PDH online course is applicable to electrical, civil, and mechanical engineers, as well as project managers in construction, and other professionals who are interested to grasp a fundamental understanding of 5G technologies that can help us not only improve quality of life, but also usher us into the endless possibilities that this generation of 5G can bring.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with a brief overview of the evolution of wireless technology
- Understanding challenges to overcome in order to achieve 5G standards
- Understanding 5G performance benchmarks (“5G Triangle”)
- Learning examples of potential 5G use cases
- Learning how to achieve 5G performance by addressing 2 important questions:
- Where can we get more spectrum?
- How can we better utilize existing spectrum?
- Learning Millimeter wave technology for expanding spectrum capacity
- Network congestion in existing spectrums
- Propagation vulnerabilities
- Attenuation trade-offs
- Antenna size advantages
- Learning MIMO technology for increasing spectral efficiency
- Overcoming small-scale propagation effects (multipath fading)
- Antenna diversity for multiplying radio signals
- OFDM modulation scheme basics
- MIMO modes
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of ten (10) questions to earn 2 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.