FHWA Bridge Maintenance: Decks
This online engineering PDH course is based on Chapter X (Deck Maintenance Procedures) of the manual, and discusses various aspects of deck maintenance.
The Bridge Maintenance Training Reference Manual was developed to serve as part of a Federal Highway Administration training course. The objectives of the training are to 1) provide instructions in bridge maintenance and repair procedures, 2) provide an overview of general management techniques useful to a bridge maintenance supervisor or technician, 3) improve work-site safety, and 4) acquaint bridge maintenance personnel with the purpose and function of bridge management systems.
This 5 PDH online course is intended primarily for structural and civil engineers, as well as design and construction professionals, and would be of particular interest to consulting engineers or to engineers serving in government organizations concerned with the maintenance of bridges.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Concrete deck sealing and patching
- Epoxy deck, asphalt concrete, and emergency full-depth patching
- Concrete crack sealing
- Timber deck moisture control, sealants and fumigants
- Nail-laminated decks maintenance and repair
- Steel grid decks cleaning
- Repairing broken welds
- Improving skid resistance
- Concrete fill in steel grid decks
- Exodermic decks maintenance and repair
- Joint types, functions, classification, and specific problems
- Impact of poor joint maintenance
- Upgrading joints
- Concrete railing maintenance and repair
- Steel pipe railing maintenance and repair
- Aluminum railing maintenance and repair
- Character of debris, cleaning methods and typical problems in cleaning deck drains and installing pipe drains
- Replacement of concrete, timber, and steel grid decks
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter X, "Deck Maintenance Procedures" of the Federal Highway Administration Bridge Maintenance Training Reference Manual, Publication No. FHWA- NHI-03-045, March, 2003.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.