FHWA Bridge Inspector's Manual: Fundamentals of Bridge Inspections
This engineering online PDH course describes the duties of the bridge inspection team, safety fundamentals for bridge inspectors, temporary traffic control, inspection equipment, and methods of access.
Bridge inspection plays an important role in providing a safe infrastructure for the nation. As the nation’s bridges continue to age and deteriorate, an accurate and thorough assessment of each bridge’s condition is critical in maintaining a dependable highway system.
While completing the inspection in a timely and efficient manner is important, safety is also a major concern in the field. Attitude, alertness, and common sense are three important factors in maintaining safety. To reduce the possibility of accidents, bridge inspectors need to be concerned about safety.
The 6 PDH online course is intended for civil, construction, and structural engineers, and would be of particular interest to consulting engineers or to engineers serving in government organizations concerned with the safety of bridges.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Knowing the duties of the bridge inspection team
- Planning, preparing, and performing the inspection
- Preparing the inspection report
- Knowing safety responsibilities
- Understanding safety precautions
- Implementing inspector safety practices in traffic control
- Using principles of public safety applied to traffic control
- Knowing special equipment sometimes required
- Implementing safety practices in using access equipment and vehicles
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.