Earthquake Resistant Residential Design and Construction, Part 2
This online engineering PDH course will cover the general earthquake-resistance requirements in the International Residential Code, IRC, along with typical construction methods for walls, roof-ceiling systems, chimneys, fireplaces, balconies and decks.
The purpose of this course is to familiarize the engineer with the basic principles of earthquake-resistant design for residential construction. Adequate construction is required in order for a structure to fair well during and after an earthquake.
This 5 PDH online course is applicable to structural engineers, design professionals, construction contractors, building owners and other technical personnel who are interested in gaining a better understanding in earthquake resistant design and construction.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about wood wall light-frame construction
- Learning about stone and masonry veneer
- Learning about masonry wall houses
- Learning about insulating concrete form wall houses
- Understanding general roof-ceiling requirements
- Understanding blocking and lateral load paths for roof systems
- Learning about roof sheathing
- Understanding lateral capacity issues for wood framed roofs
- Learning about anchorage for chimneys and fireplaces
- Learning about anchorage for balconies and decks
In this professional engineering CEU course, you will review Chapters 5 to 7 of the FEMA publication "Homebuilders' Guide to Earthquake Resistant Design and Construction", FEMA 232 - June 2006 prepared by the Building Seismic Safety Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency of the Department of Homeland Security.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty five (25) questions to earn 5 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on Chapters 5 to 7 of this FEMA publication.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.