Determining the Cost/Benefit of Routine Maintenance Cleaning on Steel Bridges
This online engineering PDH course aims at identifying the key variables necessary in estimating the impact of regular washing of steel bridges on the paint and service life, recommending methods for recording data in order to most effectively estimate the benefits of bridge washing, and developing a framework to assess the impact of bridge washing on paint life.
Thirty years ago, when the environmental rules changed, the WSDOT stopped annual cleaning of steel truss bridges. Some cleaning was done after this time only to assist inspection crews or to determine what the cost would be to hand clean a steel truss bridge. WSDOT is investigating the feasibility of an annual steel truss bridge washing program. A pilot study was implemented in 2011 that will help to determine the benefits and environmental impacts of such a program.
This work builds on the pilot study to identify current bridge washing practices around the country and to select the measurements necessary to determine whether more regular washing has positive cost benefits. The research summarized in this course is a first step towards understanding and quantifying the benefits of a more regular bridge washing program on paint life and corrosion.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to civil and structural engineers who are interested in assessing the impact of bridge washing on paint and service life, estimating the benefits of bridge washing, and improving the maintenance of steel bridges.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the pilot bridge washing program, the conducted studies and the yielded results
- Gaining a general overview on the research and literature review concerning bridge maintenance
- Learning about the nationwide survey on bridge washing programs, and the responses in different States
- Exploring the bridge washing programs in different States including Iowa, Alaska, Kentucky, New York, New Hampshire, Missouri, Indiana
- Identifying the impact of regular bridge washing programs on paint life and corrosion
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.