Cooling Water Problems and Solutions
This online engineering PDH course presents an overview of common chemical treatment program that may be required to maintain cooling water systems in good operating condition. Reasons and means are discussed for controlling scale, deposition, corrosion, and biological fouling. The discussion also covers the information on chemicals used for control, and methods available to permit operation within the limits.
The three primary reasons that the cooling water treatment may be required are to control corrosion, scale formation, and the growth of biological agents. Any of these problems - or more usually a combination of them - can cause a loss of efficiency, shorten equipment life and push up operating costs. Imagine the large amounts of dollars lost when insufficient cooling suddenly curtails operations of process equipment.
This 5 PDH online course is applicable to all engineers and designers involved in power plants, oil and gas, chemical and petrochemical process facilities, refineries, industrial plants and HVAC systems in commercial buildings.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understand the critical parameters such as conductivity, TDS, pH, alkalinity and saturation index applicable to cooling water treatment
- Understand the factors responsible for scale and corrosion
- Understand the types of scale and methods to minimize its formation
- Understand relationship between the cycles of concentration and blowdown
- Understand the physical methods of treating water such as softener, dealkalizer, ion-exchanger, filtration, and electronic de-scaling equipments
- Understand the corrosion types and the control techniques to mitigate corrosion
- Learn four types of corrosion inhibitors including, anodic, cathodic, mixed and adsorption types
- Understand the principles of cathodic protection
- Learn the possible types of biological fouling and the treatment methods including oxidizing and non-oxidizing biocides
- Understand the chemical feed equipment for closed and open cooling water systems
- Learn the five application methods for dosing chemicals including their benefits and limitations
- Learn the control sensors and monitoring devices used in cooling water treatment
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "Cooling Water Problems and Solutions".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.