Coastal Construction - Designing the Building
This online engineering PDH course provides the design professional with sufficient background and examples for effectively designing a residential building proposed to be constructed in a coastal hazard area. The designer will find that engineering judgment will need to be applied to a range of issues which will arise during the design of a coastal residential building. This course describes the design process which involves the following:
- Determining design loads
- Determining the building’s foundation, structural frame, and envelope
- Determining the connections between individual elements
- Determining the elevation, placement, and support for utilities
- Selecting the appropriate materials
In this course, the recommended design method is Allowable Stress Design (ASD), so there are factors of safety (FS) built into the development of the material stresses and the forces at the connections. This design method has been chosen for this manual because ASD continues to be the predominant design method in light-frame, residential, wood construction.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for structural engineers, design and construction personnel and other technical professionals who are involved in coastal construction projects.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the design process
- Determining site-specific loads
- Applying loads to the building
- Determining forces at connections and stresses in materials
- Developing connections at each link
- Selecting building materials
- Designing for the building envelope
- Designing for electrical and mechanical equipment
- Designing for appurtenant structures
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.