Building Terrorism Mitigation - Building Design
This online engineering PDH course addresses explosive blast and CBR concerns from terrorist attacks, highlighting mitigation measures that may be applied to building elements, including architectural, structural, and building envelope systems. These measures are designed to minimize the loss of life through deterrence and detection, as well as strengthening of the building against a variety of terrorist tactics.
After the site design considerations to enhance protection have been taken into account (as applicable), additional building design measures, such as hardening, must be considered to protect building occupants. The primary focus of this course is the protection of buildings where the occupants are the primary asset.
This 4 PDH online course is applicable to engineers, planners, architects, landscape designers, construction and operations personnel, security and law enforcement agents, as well as consultants and contractors to gain a better understanding in determining which asset protection measures are appropriate and cost-effective for incorporation into the building design against potential terrorist attacks.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Optimizing security-related architectural considerations including building configuration and detailing as well as space design
- Understanding the building’s structural and non-structural systems to determine the design features needed to protect against the potential collapse
- Mitigating the effects of the explosion on the building envelope
- Identifying and implementing the major security functions of the mechanical and electrical systems
- Enhancing the performance of fire protection and communication systems for facility protection
- Designing electronic and physical security systems to prevent unauthorized access and safeguard people against terrorist attacks
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter 3 "Building Design Guidance" of the FEMA Publication tilted, "Mitigating Potential Terrorist Attacks Against Buildings" (FEMA 426).
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.