Basic Gear Design
This online engineering PDH course provides information on how to understand the design and function of gears and how to apply them to mechanical systems. It starts with an overview of the types of gears, terms used to define gears, materials and manufacture along with illustrative drawings. It then deals extensively with spur gears, the most common type, including design, mounting, shaft and bearing, and application. Next, it discusses helical gear design and mounting. Finally, it presents short sections covering bevel gears, spiral bevel gears, and hypoid gears.
Gears have been around for 3,000 years and are used in everything from clocks to rockets. The gear tooth has been so successfully perfected that, when two gears mesh, almost perfect rolling takes place. Most gears operate in the high 90% efficiency range similar to anti-friction bearings where pure rolling does take place. Much scientific study and development work has been completed on gears. Formulas have been developed and standards established to make gear design and application as easy an endeavor as possible.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers, automotive engineers, design engineers, and any other discipline involved in the design of gears in machines or mechanical power transmission.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the various kinds of gears and how they are used
- Knowing the terms that are used to define gears and gear teeth
- Familiarizing with the kinds of materials and manufacturing methods that go into making gears
- Learning how to use AGMA equations for rating gears on pitting resistance and tooth bending strength
- Learning how to select the correct gear for the various kinds of existing mechanical applications
- Understanding the various aspects of gear mounting including bearing rating, shaft diameter, and shaft bendinga
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Basic Gear Design".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.