Ball Bearing Fundamentals
This online engineering PDH course provides an overview of the basics of ball bearings and their application that is presented with more discussion than detail. It describes with ample drawing support how to determine bearing loads on three commonly used gear drives. Next, the three different kinds of ball bearings: radial, angular contact, and double row are examined along with how they are mounted, retained, lubricated, and sealed. Finally, drawings showing the three different ball bearings in various mechanical application environments are provided along with expert engineering analysis.
Ball bearings can be considered the heart of a machine. They lie deep inside doing their job while the rest of the machine goes about its business making life much easier for mankind. Ball bearings operate so efficiently that they are sometimes referred to as being "anti-friction" devices. The high efficiency is the result of well-engineered, precision manufactured products that are constructed of the finest materials available.
When a machine is being designed, it is the duty of the ball bearing Application Engineer to get involved in the design as early as possible so that the forces acting on the bearings are computed, the correct product selected, the method of mounting established, and the type of lubrication and need for closures (seals) determined.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for mechanical, electrical, automotive, aeronautical and civil engineers, as well as any other technical professionals involved in machine design or interested in gaining a better understanding of mechanical products.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning how to calculate bearing loads from external applied forces
- Learning how to convert spur, helical and bevel gear applied forces into bearing loads
- Understanding the difference between radial, angular contact, and double row ball bearings
- Understanding the relationship between ball bearing mounting and internal clearance
- Understanding how the various retainers and sleeves are used to mount bearings
- Knowing the advantage of using the various types of bearing lubrication procedures that are available
- Knowing the advantage of using the various types of bearing closures (seals) that are available
- Understanding the radial, angular contact, and double row bearing application advantages
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Ball Bearing Fundamentals".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.