Ball Bearing Design and Applications
This online engineering PDH course introduces the basic principles of the rotational motion that occur in every day products such as washing machines, manufacturing machines, automobiles, industrial equipment, and airplanes. Without anti-friction bearings, these products would be larger, heavier than and not nearly as efficient as they are today. Anti-friction bearings support the mechanism that cleans the clothes in a washing machine; they support the many shafts that are found in manufacturing machines and automobile transmissions; and they support the ever increasingly sized rotors in an airplane jet engine. They are called "anti-friction" because they operate in the high 90% efficiency range and therefore save countless amounts of energy in today's dynamic world.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for mechanical, automotive, civil, machine design engineers and any other professional interested in ball bearing design and applications.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding how the bearing inner and outer ring pathway curvature and shoulder heights are proportioned
- Understanding what bearing component is most likely to fail first in a typical application
- Learning about the steps taken in the manufacture of ball bearing parts
- Understanding the difference between radial, angular contact, and double row ball bearings
- Learning about annular Bearing Engineers Committee ball bearing inner and outer ring diameter tolerance classifications and how they are used
- Understanding the role that internal clearance plays in the performance of ball bearings
- Knowing the equation used to predict the operating life of ball bearings under various load and speed conditions
- Familiarizing with the various devices that are used in the mounting of ball bearings on shafts and in housings
- Learning the analysis and equations used in predicting ball bearing life while supporting spur, helical, and bevel gear shafts
- Learning how preloading bearings can make shafts that they support run truer in precision machine applications
- Understanding the elastohydrodynamic oil film theory and the various lubricants and lubricating systems used in ball bearing applications
- Learning about the various seals and shields that are assembled to bearings to contain lubricant and shield them from moisture and contaminant entry
- Learning how the three kinds of ball bearings are used in various mechanical components and systems
- Familiarizing with the many kinds of ball bearing specialty products that are used in farm, industrial, and automotive applications
- Calculating the life of all three kinds of ball bearings in a simple setting showing the advantage and disadvantage of each
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Ball Bearing Design and Applications".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.