An Introduction to Seepage, Slope and Settlement of Levees
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to the methods for controlling seepage and settlement in the construction of levees as well as generally acceptable guidelines for levee slopes.
Without control, underseepage in pervious foundations beneath levees may result in excessive hydrostatic pressures beneath an impervious top stratum on the landside, sand boils, and piping beneath the levee itself. Underseepage problems are most acute where a pervious substratum underlies a levee and extends both landward and riverward of the levee and where a relatively thin top stratum exists on the landside of the levee. To alleviate these problems, principal seepage control measures for foundation underseepage including: cutoff trenches, riverside impervious blankets, landside seepage berms, pervious toe trenches, and pressure relief wells, are implemented.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers as well as other design and construction managers interested in learning about, or are involved in, the design and construction of levees.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about site specific monitoring programs
- Understanding the fundamental requirements for extraction wells
- Knowing how frequently extraction wells should be monitored
- Understanding the importance of balancing techniques for multiple extraction wells
- Learning about perimeter LFG migration control
- Learning how to address leachate blockage issues at extraction wells
- Understanding the importance of monitoring conditions that may lead to landfill fires
- Learning how to employ LFG monitoring probes
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, “An Introduction to Seepage, Slope and Settlement of Levees”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 2 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.