An Introduction to Pavement Design in Seasonal Frost Conditions
This online engineering PDH course provides introductory information about evaluation of soil conditions, selection of materials, and design methods for pavements in seasonal frost conditions. It presents criteria and procedures for the design and construction of pavements placed on subgrade or base course materials subject to seasonal frost action. The most prevalent modes of distress in pavements and their causes are listed.
The detrimental effects of frost action in subsurface materials are manifested by non-uniform heave of pavements during the winter and by loss of strength of affected soils during the ensuing thaw period. This is accompanied by a corresponding increase in damage accumulation and a more rapid rate of pavement deterioration during the period of weakening; other related detrimental effects of frost and low temperatures are possible loss of compaction, development of permanent roughness, restriction of drainage by the frozen strata, and cracking and deterioration of the pavement surface. Hazardous operating conditions, excessive maintenance, or pavement destruction may result.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for civil and geotechnical engineers and other design and construction professionals wanting to learn how to design rigid and flexible pavements where seasonal frost conditions exist.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about frost, soil and pavement terminology applicable to seasonal frost design conditions
- Learning about bound bases and how they are employed in frost conditions
- Knowing the definitions of frost-susceptible soils
- Understanding how the design freezing index is determined and applied in design for seasonal frost
- Knowing how to design to accommodate varved clays
- Learning about the alternative methods of thickness design
- Knowing how to determine and apply the air freezing index
- Learning about the reduced subgrade strength design method
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Pavement Design in Seasonal Frost Conditions".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.