An Introduction to Foundations on Fill and Backfilling
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to methods, techniques and equipment for selecting, placing and compacting fill and backfill materials for structure foundations.
Foundations may be constructed on fills and backfilled material. Fills may include conventional compacted fills; hydraulic fills; and uncontrolled fills of soils or industrial and domestic wastes, such as ashes, slag, chemical wastes, building rubble, and refuse. Properly placed compacted fill will be more rigid and uniform and have greater strength than most natural soils. Hydraulic fills may be compacted or uncompacted and are an economical means of providing fill over large areas. Except when cohesionless materials, i.e., clean sands and gravels, are placed under controlled conditions so silty pockets are avoided and are compacted as they are placed, hydraulic fills will generally require some type of stabilization to ensure adequate foundations.
This 1 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers, structural engineers, geotechnical engineers, geologists and other design and construction professionals seeking an introduction to methods and techniques for fill and backfill construction for foundations and footings for buildings and structures.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about the different methods for compacting fills for foundations
- Knowing the types of fill and when their use is applicable
- Knowing the methods and techniques used to construct foundations on compacted fills
- Learning about the different compaction requirements for fills and backfills
- Understanding the fundamentals of placing and controlling fill and backfill
- Learning how to accommodate and control fill settlement
- Learning about hydraulic fills and their application
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Foundations on Fill and Backfilling".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.