An Introduction to Domestic Wastewater Treatment
This online engineering PDH course will introduce you to the basics of domestic wastewater treatment. You will learn about preliminary measures, pretreatment, primary, secondary and advanced treatment processes, and sludge treatment and disposal. Approximate performance data for different treatment processes will be included, as well as comments on operational characteristics of processes. Basic design considerations for selecting treatment processes and sizing plants will be discussed. Normal domestic, non-domestic and industrial wastewater characteristics will be considered, as will the impact of stormwater on domestic wastewater treatment plants. Factors to be considered in site selection will be addressed.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for engineers and other design and construction professionals interested in gaining an understanding of the process technologies, equipment and design practices needed to treat domestic wastewater and treat and dispose of the resultant sludge.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning the design and operational objectives of domestic wastewater treatment plants
- Learning about the major factors to consider in siting domestic wastewater treatment plants, including topography, availability of a suitable discharge point, working and public areas, and community master plan considerations
- Learning about typical compounds that inhibit biological wastewater treatment processes and how they can be mitigated
- Learning the definitions and characteristics of preliminary, primary, secondary and advanced domestic wastewater treatment processes
- Learning about preliminary treatment processes including equalization, neutralization, temperature adjustment, nutrient addition, screening and grit removal
- Learning about primary treatment processes including sedimentation and dissolved air flotation
- Learning about secondary treatment processes including activated sludge, aerated ponds, aerobic-anaerobic ponds, trickling filters, chemical oxidation, chemical mixing flocculation and clarification, gravity filtration, pressure filtration, dissolved air flotation with chemicals, and anaerobic contact
- Learning about advanced treatment processes including advanced carbon adsorption, micro straining filtration, land treatment, subsurface disposal, and groundwater recharge
- Learning about sludge treatment processes including anaerobic digestion, aerobic digestion, autoclaving, elutriation, vacuum filtration, centrifugation, sand beds and presses
- Learning about sludge disposal including incineration, wet oxidation, land disposal and sanitary landfills
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Domestic Wastewater Treatment".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.