America's Greatest Projects and their Engineers - VI
This online engineering course describes the engineering and design efforts necessary to provide the technology and equipment to enable our second group of astronauts to orbit above the earth's surface for lengthy periods of time, to walk in space, and to rendezvous with other space crafts. It chronicles the events and achievements of American engineers and scientists who followed the Mercury Project, but who were very aware that there was a major hurdle between placing a man in space and placing a man on the moon and assuring his safe return. It summarizes the concepts and planning by the officials of NASA and other involved engineers and contractors.
When the time had come to move on to the second phase of America’s space flight program, Project Gemini, the members of this project had the responsibility for placing the first pair of American astronauts into outer space in preparation for a lunar landing. This project demonstrated the contributions and remarkable foresight of the many engineers, manufacturers, and contractors who performed their duties both on the ground and in outer space, and who were on the forefront of engineering innovation.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for engineers of all disciplines interested in understanding the project management strategies applied as well as the leadership skills and techniques used to overcome the major technological challenges encountered during the implementation of Project Gemini.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding why a “bridge” project was so necessary after President Kennedy’s commitment to place a man on the Moon and safely return him to Earth by the end of the 1960’s
- Learning how the NASA team handled pressure in the face of early dominance by the Soviet Union in the “Space Race”
- Learning how the U. S. went from a single-pilot module to an actual two-man spacecraft
- Understanding how each step in the program had significance toward achieving the goal of the United States
- Learning how the training and experience of the astronauts and engineers prepared them with the confidence to pursue a mission of such huge proportions
- Following the progress of each Gemini mission to learn why each function of every flight was critical and necessary to prepare the U. S. for a lunar landing
- Realizing how strong leadership and excellent engineering management helped to fulfill a fantastic outcome
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.