Air Moving Systems and Fire Protection
This online engineering PDH course provides some fundamental facts that will prove valuable in fire emergency. It describes basic information on fire protection systems and discusses some typical preparations needed for designing smoke control systems.
The fire hazards associated with heating ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems are significant. Fire isn't the only hazard; the smoke generated by the fire can be much more dangerous. Protection is needed from the spread of fire and smoke due both to fires starting inside an HVAC system and fires starting outside an HVAC system. Fire performance of materials for HVAC components is required, and fire dampers and smoke dampers are needed. To provide smoke protection, an HVAC system can be shut down or it can be put into special smoke control mode of operation. Smoke from building fires can be managed by the mechanisms of compartmentation, dilution, airflow, pressurization, and buoyancy.
This 2 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical and HVAC engineers, process engineers, architects, building designers, contractors, facility managers who are interested in gaining a better understanding in air moving systems and fire protection.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The use of HVAC systems and dedicated fans for smoke control
- The function of dampers in control of fire and smoke
- The leakage classification of smoke dampers
- The use of compartmentation as a passive fire protection strategy
- The use of dilution as an active fire protection strategy
- The use of pressurization as an active fire protection strategy for emergency exits and fire-fighters operations
- The use of airflow system as an active fire protection strategy for railroads and tunnels
- The use of buoyancy as a fire protection strategy of large ceiling spaces
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NISTIR - 5227) report titled "Air moving systems and Fire Protection".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.