Types of Interchanges and At-Grade Intersections
This online engineering PDH course aims at providing thorough knowledge on the types of interchanges and at-grade intersections and provides a detailed description on each type, describes the advantages and disadvantages of each type, with detailed photography.
In the field of road transport, an interchange (American English) or a grade-separated junction (British English) is a road junction that uses grade separations to allow for the movement of traffic between two or more roadways or highways, using a system of interconnecting roadways to permit traffic on at least one of the routes to pass through the junction without interruption from crossing traffic streams. An intersection is the area where two or more roadways cross and includes the roadway as well as the roadside components that accommodate traffic movements within the area.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to civil, transportation and bridge engineers interested in learning about the principles to be considered when selecting and designing an interchange or an intersection. The contents of this document are intended to serve as guidance and not as an absolute standard or rule.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with three-legged and four-legged system interchanges
- Familiarizing with the different types of intersections
- Gaining a general overview on the different types of interchanges and on grade separation
- Learning about channelization of at-grade intersections
- Understanding service interchanges including diamond interchanges, partial cloverleaf interchanges, diverging diamond interchanges and single-point urban interchanges
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.