Strike Terminations for Lightning Protection Systems
This online engineering PDH course provides information concerning the Strike Termination Subsystem of a Lightning Protection System (LPS). It is one of the five following subsystems of a lightning protection system:
- Strike Termination Subsystem
- Conductor Subsystem
- Grounding Electrode Subsystem
- Equipotential Bonding Subsystem
- Surge Protection Subsystem
An overview of the complete lightning protection systems and its functioning is given in CED Course No. E02-009, Fundamentals of Lightning Protection Systems. Completing that course is recommended as a prerequisite to this course but is not necessary.
The STS intercepts the lightning event. Specifications are given to arrange the receptors of the strike, called strike terminations, in such a fashion that protects a structure and adjacent areas. These specifications are based on the guidance of well-accepted design standards commonly used for lightning protection. Specific design requirements can be found in the National Fire Protection Associations’ Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems,’ NFPA 780.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to architects, civil and electrical engineers, as well as design and construction personnel involved with the planning and design of structures requiring lightning protection.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the purpose and function of the STS
- Knowing the material requirements for the STS
- Understanding the concept of Zone of Protection afforded by the STS
- Knowing the specifications for the arrangement of strike terminations to protect a structure from lightning as part of a total LPS
- Identifying the engineering and construction standards for lightning protection systems commonly used in the United States
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, “Strike Termination for Lightning Protection Systems”.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.