Shot Peening Technology
This online engineering PDH course describes the operations of various types of shot peening devices as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each. Detailed descriptions are given of shot peening shot media with advantages and disadvantages of each type. Additional detailed descriptions are given of the features and applications of a number of different machines used in the manufacturing industry for applying shot peening both in production and in the laboratory. Finally the topic of Low Plasticity Burnishing is covered describing how metal surface can be minimally cold worked with improved surface finish while attaining the same results as shot peening.
Shot peening is a metal working operation that is used to enhance the fatigue life of a great variety of manufactured engineering components and assemblies.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers, metallurgists, aeronautical engineers, welding engineers, production engineers and anyone else interested in understanding methods to increase the fatigue life of engineering dynamic components.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the art, science and benefits received from using the shot peening process
- Understanding the role of compressive stress in improving material fatigue life
- Knowing the various applications where shot peening has made a difference in fatigue life
- Understanding the action and reaction when a shot peening spherical bead strikes metal
- Knowing the reaction of a thin piece of metal when bombarded by shot peening media
- Learning about shot peening in the bow forming of metal such as in aircraft wings
- Plotting magnitude of stress from the surface to underlying layers of a shot peened part
- Understanding how the Almen test defines the levels of intensity of the shot peening blast
- Knowing the type of shot peening used for metals of one sixteenth of an inch and lower
- Learning how shot peening increases a part's life based on the stress type encountered
- Learning about the increase in fatigue life in various parts that have been shot peened
- Knowing the type of shot used; how it is manufactured and the performance of each kind
- Understanding the application of the various shot peening machines used in the industry
- Understanding the advantages of the use of High Frequency Impact Treatment
- Learning about the use of Laser Shock Peening, its advantages and disadvantages.
- Understanding the function of Low Plasticity Burnishing and its advantages over peening
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "Shot Peening Technology".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.