Roundabout Planning and Operation
This online engineering PDH course presents the factors that lead up to the decision to construct a roundabout with an approximate configuration at a specific location, preceding the detailed analysis and design of a roundabout. By confirming that there is good reason to believe that roundabout construction is feasible and that a roundabout offers a sensible method of accommodating the traffic demand, these planning activities make unnecessary the expenditure of effort required subsequently.
This course also presents methods for analyzing the operation of an existing or planned roundabout. These methods allow a transportation analyst to assess the operational performance of a facility, given information about the usage of the facility and its geometric design elements. An operational analysis produces two kinds of estimates: (1) the capacity of a facility, i.e., the ability of the facility to accommodate various streams of users, and (2) the level of performance, often measured in terms of one or more measures of effectiveness, such as delay and queues.
This 5 PDH online course is applicable to traffic engineers, transportation planners, conceptual and detailed designers, and other technical professionals who are involved in the planning and operation of roundabouts.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Considering the various constraints for constructing a roundabout
- Determining a preliminary lane configuration and selecting a roundabout category based on capacity requirements
- Performing the analysis appropriate to the roundabout selection category
- Determining the space requirements and feasibility
- Understanding the traffic operations at roundabouts
- Obtaining data required to evaluate the performance of a roundabout
- Estimating the capacity of the various roundabout configurations
- Applying measures of effectiveness determine the performance of a roundabout and estimating these measures
- Familiarizing with the different computer software packages available to implement the capacity and performance analysis procedures
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter 4, "Planning" and Chapter 5, "Operation", of the Federal Highway Administration Publication FHWA-RD-00-067, "Understanding Roundabouts".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.