Refrigerant Safety in HVAC Systems
This online engineering PDH course discusses the dangers of various refrigerants and provides information on precautionary guidelines, based on ASHRAE Standards 34 and 15, to prevent any potential accidents from occurring in the facility.
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) defines a set of requirements that keep the personnel safe while working in mechanical rooms or any area in a building where refrigerants are involved.
All new machinery rooms containing refrigerant equipment, and the occupied spaces containing direct expansion (DX) type refrigeration systems, such as Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) systems, must be designed to comply with ASHRAE 15. It is important to note that the compliance with the ASHRAE 15 is mandatory, and failing to equip, train and protect working personnel and building occupants from the potential hazards of refrigerant gas leaks is a serious matter that can lead to civil or criminal penalties.
This 5 PDH online course is applicable to environmental and mechanical engineers who are interested in learning about ASHRAE standards 15 and 34, and understanding the potential hazards and safety precautions while working with refrigerants.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the hazards and safety precautions while working with refrigerants
- Learning about occupancy and system classifications
- Learning about Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) systems in compliance with ASHRAE Standards
- Understanding the uniform system for assigning numbers and safety classifications for refrigerants
- Gaining an overview of gas detectors, ventilation and purge requirements in mechanical rooms
- Exploring the selection requirements of pressure limiting devices and refrigerant piping
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.