Rational Method Hydrologic Calculations with Excel 2
This online engineering PDH course will enable you to calculate peak storm water runoff rate using the Rational Method equation in either U.S. or S.I. units, including determination of runoff coefficient, calculation of time of concentration, and determination of design rainfall intensity. It will also prepare you for the use of Excel spreadsheets to efficiently make the calculations.
Calculation of peak storm water runoff rate from a drainage area is often done with the Rational Method equation (Q = CiA). Use of Excel spreadsheets for calculations with this equation and for determination of the design rainfall intensity and the time of concentration of the drainage area, are included in this course. The parameters in the equations are defined with typical units for both U.S. and S.I. units.
This 1 PDH online course is applicable primarily to civil engineers, hydraulic engineers, highway engineers, and environmental engineers, design professionals, technical and construction personnel who are interested in gaining a better understanding of the rational method hydrologic calculations using Excel.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Knowing the parameters and their U.S. and S.I. units to be used in the Rational Method equation
- Ability to calculate peak storm water runoff rate with the Rational Method equation, using either U.S. or S.I. units
- Ability to place a given soil into one of the four SCS soil groups based on its measured minimum infiltration rate
- Ability to place a given soil into one of the four SCS soil groups based on its description
- Ability to determine a value of the Rational Method runoff coefficient based on land use, soil group, and slope of the watershed
- Ability to calculate the overland sheet flow travel time for a watershed using the Manning Kinematic equation
- Ability to calculate the shallow concentrated flow travel time for a watershed using the NRCS method
- Ability to calculate the open channel flow travel time for a watershed using the Manning equation
- Knowing the form of the equation used for rainfall intensity as a function of storm duration for a specified return period
- Familiarity with methods for using Excel spreadsheets to make the different types of calculations
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document tilted, "Rational Method Hydrologic Calculations with Excel".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.