Protecting Homes from High Wind Damage
This online engineering PDH course will introduce you to the principles and practices of protecting residential structures from high winds. This course demonstrates that some seemingly minor areas of weakness could provide a path for high winds to enter the home and cause serious damage. The course presents remedies for the most common weaknesses and the highest priority preparations for high winds.
A team of experts examined homes that had failed and homes that had survived damage from Hurricane Andrew. It has been found that once high winds penetrate the building envelope (outer shell) of the home, the likelihood of significant structural damage to the home greatly increases. The team of experts identified common areas that should be checked for weakness: roof, doors, windows, garage doors (where applicable), roofing systems, and external insulating finishing systems (EIFS). Gable roof systems were also found to be more likely to suffer damage during a high wind event. Each area of weakness identified in this course also includes simple and effective remedies which increase the chances of a home surviving the storm with less damage.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for engineers, architects, contractors, and homeowners who are interested in gaining an understanding of the benefits of proper preparation for high winds. Additionally, this course could be useful as a guide for implementing a storm preparation plan or a maintenance plan.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Awareness that protecting the home does not decrease the urgency to evacuate
- Understanding the importance of protecting the building envelope
- Learning the common areas of weakness in residential structures during high wind storms
- Learning about the remedies for the common areas of weakness in a structure
- Learning how to prepare the home for high winds
- Learning how to prepare the property around the home for high winds
- Realizing the role of regular home inspections in reinforcing homes against high winds
- Realiziing the role of routine home maintenance in reinforcing homes against high winds
In this professional engineering CEU course you will need to review the FEMA Publication titled, "Protecting Your Home from Hurricane Wind Damage" which is based on a compilation of several FEMA articles.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.