Principles and Use of Gears, Shafts and Bearings
This online engineering PDH course takes the student through the various steps needed to gain valuable insight into the subject matter. The steps include design, types, material/manufacture, load and stress analysis, sample problems, and sketches of actual industrial applications with expert analysis. It is written in an easily understood manner with many illustrative images. The information provided will encourage individuals to make innovative improvements within their field of expertise.
Gears, shafts and bearings are the backbone of equipment used in the field of Mechanical Power Transmission. They are the primary components in such things as transmissions, drive trains, and gear boxes. Transmissions and drive trains deliver power from the engine to a variety of vehicles ranging from automobiles to earth moving equipment. Gear boxes of a variety of sizes and shapes power the many machines and equipment found in our factories and in our homes.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers, automotive engineers, plant engineers, industrial engineers, and any other discipline with an interest in Mechanical Power Transmission.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the terms associated with gears and gear teeth
- Understanding the four basic types of gears and shape of contacting face
- Learning about the material and manufacturing processes used on gears
- Learning how to calculate the design life of a gearset in bending
- Learning how to calculate the design life of a gearset in pitting
- Knowing the many different ways to improve the performance of gears
- Learning how to determine the thickness of gear rims
- Learning how to calculate the diameter of gear shafts
- Understanding the terms and types of rolling contact bearings
- Learning how to determine the loads supported by bearings
- Understanding how angular contact bearings can be mounted to support loads
- Understanding how bearing sizes and envelope dimensions are established
- Learning how to improve the life of a bearing pair using angular contact types
- Learning how to lubricate and seal bearings for maintenance free operation
- Understanding how bearings are used in various applications
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Principles and Use of Gears, Shafts and Bearings".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.