Power Supplies with Electron Tubes
This online engineering PDH course provides a basic understanding of several different power supply designs.
Power supplies are vital in the world of electronics. There are several different power supply designs out there for converting AC to DC using electron tubes or semiconductors. Although most of the power supply circuits using electron tubes are outdated, they still show the same basic concepts that our modern solid-state devices have replaced. Many power supplies today still trace back to the basic circuits.
The power circuits are typically made up of four basic sections: 1) Transformer, 2) Rectifier, 3) Filter and 4) Regulator. The transformer regulates the voltage level and couples this voltage to the rectifier section. The rectifier section converts the AC signal to a pulsating DC voltage. The filter section converts the pulsating voltage to filtered DC voltage and finally the regulator maintains the output of the power supply at a constant level. Depending upon the design of the equipment, the output of the regulator will maintain a constant DC voltage within certain limits.
This 5 PDH online course is applicable to students, professional engineers, service technicians, energy auditors, operational & maintenance personnel, facility engineers who are interested in gaining a better understanding in power supplies with electron tubes.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Identify the various sections of a power supply and state their function
- Describe the purpose of the various types of rectifier circuits used in power supplies
- Describe the purpose of the various types of filter circuits used in power supplies
- Describe the operation of the various voltage and current regulators in a power supply
- Trace the flow of AC and DC in a power supply on a schematic diagram
- Identify faulty components through visual checks
- Identify problems within specific areas of a power supply
- Apply safety precautions when working with electronic power supplies
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter 3 of Module 6 titled "Power Supplies" of the Naval Education and Training Materials (NAVEDTRA 14178), Electricity and Electronic Training Series.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.