Power Factor in Electrical Energy Management
This online engineering PDH course briefly highlights a systematic approach to the measurement, correction and control of power factor with the objective of cutting energy costs.
Although terms 'power factor measurement' and 'power factor correction' are well known to electrical engineers, the real importance of 'power factor' is not always recognized or little understood. Power factor is the percentage of electricity that is being used to do useful work. It is expressed as a ratio. For example, a power factor of 0.72 would mean only 72% of the power is being used for useful work. Power factor correction is the method used to fix the problems that cause power to be wasted. Energy is saved, and penalties levied by power companies are reduced or eliminated.
This 4 PDH online course is aimed at students, electrical & control engineers, energy auditors, operational & maintenance engineers, contractors and system designers who are responsible for design and operation of the system.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the importance of power factor improvement;
- Understanding the difference between real, apparent and reactive power;
- Learning about the direct and indirect cost of low power factor;
- Knowing the benefits of high power factor;
- Knowing the causes of low power factor;
- Understanding the means of improving power factor;
- Understanding the selection aspects of power factor capacitors;
- Learning about the harmonic distortion and power factor correction;
- Ability to conceptualize, judge and select the right system
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "Power Factor in Electrical Energy Management".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.