Pond Planning, Design and Construction
This online engineering PDH course describes basic design principles of embankment and excavation ponds as well as construction requirements. Other topics include: water needs, preliminary soil investigations, watershed & stormwater runoff estimation, basin sealing, spillways and inlets, and operation & maintenance.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for hydrologists, civil engineers, agricultural engineers, construction engineers, municipal engineers, geotechnical engineers and environmental engineers. An attendee of this course will gain knowledge about planning, design, and construction of embankment and excavated ponds.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Be familiar with the general features of embankment and excavated ponds and the differences between them
- Be familiar with the items to be covered in a preliminary investigation
- Be able estimate storm water runoff quantity and rate using the runoff curve number method
- Be able to estimate the time of concentration for a watershed for a given flow length, average watershed slope, and runoff curve number
- Be familiar with the general features of a hooded or canopy inlet spillway and a drop inlet spillway, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Be able to make spillway design calculations using tables and figures given in the course file
- Be able to estimate embankment end area for known embankment height, side slopes, and top width
- Be able to estimate earthfill requirements for an embankment for known end areas and embankment length
- Be familiar with alternative pond sealing methods and comparisons among them
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.