Parking Lot Design
This online engineering PDH course provides a detailed description and general design principles regarding the physical elements to be addressed when developing parking facilities.
Parking facility design must reflect many factors including the amount of space available for the facility, the number of parking spaces required by the destination's land use, as well as environmental and site-specific conditions.
Vehicular parking facilities play an important role in the efficiency overall transportation system. Parking availability can affect not only the destination, but also the means people will use to reach a destination. The more difficult it is to find available parking; the less likely people will drive their automobiles to a destination. Lack of available parking also makes it more likely that people will utilize public transit, if it is available and relatively convenient. If there is a consistent abundance of available parking, it may indicate the parking lot is too large creating unnecessary environmental impacts such as increased stormwater runoff and heat island effect.
This 4 PDH online course is applicable to transportation engineers as well as others interested in designing parking lot facilities. The contents of this document are intended to serve as guidance and not as an absolute standard or rule.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the types of parking facilities including on-street parking facilities and off-street parking facilities
- Learning about the comprehensive parking study that includes the inventory of existing parking facilities, the collection of data on parking accumulation, parking turnover and parking duration, identiﬁcation of parking generators, and the collection of information on parking demand
- Learning about proper parking lot drainage design to avoid parking area pavement failures
- Understanding parking lot pavement structure and pavement design for different surface course
- Learning about painting, striping, bumpers and stops when designing parking lot
- Understanding green considerations and the proper landscaping of parking areas
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.