Introduction to Harmonic Analysis Basics
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to harmonic theory. It addresses various power quality phenomena, how electrical systems are modelled for the purpose of harmonic calculations and how harmonic filters are sized.
A harmonic-producing load can affect other loads if significant voltage distortion is caused. The general procedure is to first develop a model that can accurately simulate the harmonic response of the present system and then to add a model of the new addition. Only very small circuits can be effectively analyzed without a computer program. Typically, a computer program for harmonic analysis has the capability to predict the actual distortion based on models of converters, arc furnaces, and other nonlinear loads.
This 5 PDH online course is suitable for electrical engineers with a desire to understand the fundamentals of harmonic phenomena and power quality in general.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the basic theory behind harmonic phenomena in the power system
- Learning how harmonic phenomena is modelled for the purpose of system analysis
- Learning how harmonics can affect the quality of electrical energy
- Understanding the consequences of high harmonic levels and what mitigations measures can be applied
- Learning about commercial software modelling techniques, simulation performance and interpretation of the results
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, "Introduction to Harmonic Analysis Basics".
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of thirty (30) questions to earn 5 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.