Introduction to Gear Design
This online engineering PDH course takes the student through the various steps needed to gain valuable insight into the subject matter. The steps include design, types, material/manufacture, load and stress analysis, sample problems, and sketches of actual industrial applications with expert analysis.
Gears, shafts, and bearings are the backbone of equipment used in the field of Mechanical Power Transmission. They are the primary components in such things as transmissions, drive trains, and gear boxes. Transmissions and drive trains deliver power from the engine to the wheels of a variety of vehicles ranging from automobiles to earth moving equipment. Gear boxes of a variety of sizes and shapes power the many machines and equipment found in our factories and in our homes.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers, automotive engineers, plant engineers, civil engineers, environmental engineers, and any other discipline with an interest in Mechanical Power Transmission.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the many terms associated with gears and gear teeth
- Learning about the four basic types of gears and shape of contacting face
- Familiarizing with the material and manufacturing processes used on gears
- Calculating the design life of a gearset in bending
- Calculating the design life of a gearset in pitting
- Understanding the many different ways to improve the performance of gears
- Determining the thickness of gear rims
- Calculating the diameter of gear shafts
- Understanding the terms and types of rolling contact bearings
- Determining the loads supported by bearings
- Understanding how angular contact bearings can be mounted to support loads
- Knowing how bearing sizes and envelope dimensions are established
- Learning how to improve the life of a bearing pair using angular contact types
- Learning how to lubricate and seal bearings for maintenance free operation
- Understanding of how bearings are used in various applications
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Introduction to Gear Design".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.