Insulation Audit and the Economic Thickness of Insulation
This online engineering PDH course provides insight to the energy loss from an inadequate or uninsulated surface and discusses "how much" insulation is adequate on economic criteria.
Consideration of cost and conservation of fuel warrant a close assessment of insulation systems in the existing installations and new projects. Identifying the rate of thermal energy (heat) loss from an inadequate or uninsulated surface is the starting point for understanding the incentive for installing thermal insulation.
A thermal insulation thickness that satisfies an economic assessment of the minimal cost of owning and operating a thermal system is commonly called the economic thickness. The economic thickness pays for itself besides earning a return over its original cost. From this definition, any changes occurring in the prices of fuel or in the insulation cost will tend to shift the economic thickness to another value. Therefore the insulation levels, which were uneconomical in the earlier years, may be quite lucrative now due to drastic increase in fuel prices in the recent years. Based on the prevailing cost structure one has to review the entire insulation system and assess if additional insulation is necessary to achieve optimum economy.
This 4 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical, chemical and process engineers as well as system design engineers working in power, P&C, refineries, fertilizers, metal & mining, manufacturing and engineering industries. This course is also intended for energy auditors, operational and maintenance personnel, health & safety personnel and loss prevention engineers.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Assessment of thermal losses
- Understanding thermodynamic equations governing heat transfer from flat and cylindrical surfaces
- Understanding the concept of insulation audit (instruments and measurements)
- Learning computation of heat losses and surface temperatures with real time examples
- Learning about the potential of energy saving opportunities
- Familiarizing with economics and payback analysis
- Understanding the factors affecting insulation degradation and effective maintenance practices
- Knowing the parameters affecting quality of insulation job
- Understanding the concept of economic thickness of insulation
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, "Insulation Audit and Economic Thickness of Insulation".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.