Hydrologic Engineering Requirements for Reservoirs - Part 4
This online engineering PDH course provides information on the hydrologic engineering investigations for the planning and design of reservoir projects.
Part 4 presents the basic hydrologic engineering studies, focusing on spillways and outlet works, dam freeboard requirements, dam-break analysis, channel capacity as well as real estate and right-of-way studies.
Dam failures can be caused by overtopping a dam due to insufficient spillway capacity during large inflows to the reservoir. This often occurs by seepage or piping through the dam or along internal conduits, slope embankment slides, earthquake damage and liquefaction of earthen dams from earthquakes, or landslide-generated waves within the reservoir.
Spillways and outlet works are necessary to provide capability to release an adequate rate of water from the reservoir to satisfy dam safety and water control management of the project. Furthermore, a freeboard protects the dam and embankment integrity from overflow and excessive wave overtopping caused by various factors. This course will cover all of these topics in great detail.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to civil and environmental engineers as well as others interested in expanding their knowledge on the hydrologic engineering considerations for the planning and design of reservoir projects.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the function of spillways and outlet works of reservoirs
- Learning about the role of a freeboard in protecting dam and embankment integrity
- Learning about wind characteristics and the contribution of wind to freeboard requirements
- Familiarizing with dam-break studies and risk assessment procedures for existing dams
- Learning about channel capacity studies, the stream rating curve and water profiles
- Gaining an overview of the application of real estate acquisition requirements for reservoir projects
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.