Hydraulic Performance of Shallow Foundations for the Support of Vertical-Wall Bridge Abutments
This online engineering PDH course provides basic information on hydraulic performance of shallow foundations for the support of vertical-wall bridge abutments.
Scour at the base of bridge abutments during floods is a common cause of bridge failure in the United States. Shallow abutment foundations located at or near the channel banks are considered more vulnerable than other foundations because they are closer to the streambed and can significantly constrict flood flows. These types of abutments are frequently implemented for single-span bridges, and scour countermeasures are often integrated into the design to avoid placing the foundation below local scour depth.
Therefore, to protect small single-span bridge abutments built on shallow foundations from scour damage, methods for countermeasure design are needed that consider the abutment foundation and scour countermeasures as an integrated component of the bridge. The research study described in this course is designed to provide a complete picture of the flow field and local bed shear stresses on heterogeneous bed roughness in the bridge opening.
This 7 PDH online course is applicable to geotechnical engineers who are interested in improving their knowledge about scours occurring at the base of bridge abutment during floods.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the performed literature research to determine depth and location of scour
- Understanding the proposed guidance on the hydraulic requirements for shallow abutment foundations
- Gaining a general overview of the development of a conceptual model for the increased shear in the middle of the contracted channel section
- Learning about the experimental equipment, program, and findings for several abutment riprap layouts
- Understanding the different design guidelines and requirements for riprap aprons for vertical-wall abutments with shallow foundations
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Hydraulic Performance of Shallow Foundations for the Support of Vertical-Wall Bridge Abutments”, which is based on the Department of Transportation document “Hydraulic Performance of Shallow Foundations for the Support of Vertical-Wall Bridge Abutments”, Publication No. FHWA-HRT-17-013.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.